St. Elizabeth Medical Center
2209 Genesee St.
Utica, NY 13501
Mother M. Bernardina is the founder of the Order of St. Francis, a religious community of sisters in Syracuse, New York. She was a teacher at St. Joseph School in Utica, but it was not unusual for the black-robed Franciscan to make her way through the streets of West Utica to visit the sick. She often found poverty and neglect and she resolved to find a place where the sick could be cared for by the Sisters.
With the aid and contributions of friends, Mother Bernardina founded St. Elizabeth Hospital in a small house on Columbia Street that was donated by St. Joseph Church. On December 12, 1866, the first patient was admitted.
Today, St. Elizabeth Medical Center, now located at 2209 Genesee St. is a 25-acre facility with 201 beds and employs 1,975 area residents. Our care expands throughout the area with 14 other community locations including the new St. Elizabeth Medical Arts facility in New Hartford, NY. which provides rehabilitation services, laboratory services, medical imaging services, Advanced Wound Care, and physician offices.
Much has changed since the days of a one bed facility. Additions have been built and technology has advanced greatly but, through it all we maintain the beliefs of our founding Sisters. Each person has the right to quality healthcare and we strive to administer to the whole person to promote physical, spiritual, and emotional wellness.
Please feel free to Contact Us.